Schizophrenia Awareness Week in Australia is from 20 – 27 May 2019.
The aim of this week is to raise awareness of schizophrenia and consequently reduce the stigma surrounding this mental health challenge.
The attached video has been created by the BBC to educate us about “Things Not To Say To Someone With Schizophrenia“.
Further useful information can be found at sane.org.au
- Myth: ‘It’s split personality’
- Reality: Schizophrenia has nothing to do with ‘multiple personalities.’
- Myth: ‘You can “catch” it’
- Reality: Schizophrenia is not contagious.
- Myth: ‘People with schizophrenia are violent’
- Reality: People being treated for schizophrenia are no more likely to be violent than anyone else, but they are more likely to be the victims of violence.
- Myth: ‘You can just will it away’
- Reality: Schizophrenia can’t be treated by diet, exercise, prayer or willpower alone. It requires evidence-based treatment by qualified mental health professionals.